Thursday, July 13, 2017

Responsible Cell Phone Use

The subject of cell phone use in the classroom has been nagging at the back of my mind for awhile.  I feel strongly that cell phones can be resources and we need to train students to use them as tools and not just fancy bricks that let them see Facebook.  A student's personal device can be more powerful than the technology available in the school.  I've spent some time, did some research, and collaborated with some peers to come up with a cell phone policy that I think will change how my students use their phones and increase productivity in my classroom.  Feel free to steal, reuse, change to suit your needs.

Classroom Cellphone Policy

Rules
  1. Cell phones must be visible on your work area or on my desk at all times. (It's when students have their cell phones under their desk or when they are trying to 'sneak' them that they are more likely to use them for inappropriate things.  Keeping them in sight increases accountability.)
  2. Cell phones don't leave the classroom. (One of the biggest concerns is inappropriate photographs/videos.  I'm more concerned about students keeping their cellphones in their pockets and then using them when they use the pass to go to the bathroom.  This is the most likely time for unsupervised use and this rule eliminates that possibility.)
  3. Cell phone off and down when someone is presenting. (When anyone is presenting, you don't have it out.  Good practice for users of all ages.)
  4. Instructor can check your phone at any time. (I want students to have a level of privacy but they can't assume that in the classroom.  I don't plan on checking phones on a regular basis but they need to be prepared for questions.  I think this really just boils down to being present in the classroom.  Moving around, talking to students, being aware of what's going on.)
  5. No internet access...cell data only.  (This can't be a policy change that could effect the bandwidth in our building.)
Fell free to use your cellphone for... (If a students wants to check their grades, take a picture of notes, or put deadlines in a calendar, I don't want them to ask me, I want them to do it.  If students ask permission for every task it would consumer mass amounts of class-time.)
  • Calendars
  • Note taking
  • Project research
  • Google Classroom
  • PowerSchool
  • Other use with permission
You cannot use your cell phone for...(Pretty straight forward.  Students really need to learn what, when, and where when it comes to cell phones.)
  • Any social media
  • Any teacting
  • Phone calls without permission
  • Pictures or videos of anyone
If we have issues you will...(I wanted to progress with the outcomes because the goal of this policy isn't just to increase student access to technology but help them learn responsible use.  If I don't give them a chance to redirect their actions their skills won't improve.)
  1. Lose cell phone use for 1 week and phone call home.
  2. Lose cell phone use for 3 weeks and phone call home.
  3. All cell pone privileges revoked for remainder of the course.
*Most important to remember...cell phone usage is a privilege not a right.  (Instructor will not use any class time for problems you might have with your phone.)

Who knows...this might be awesome, or a disaster.  I will definitely do a follow up post as I implement this policy in my classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment